Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fall in Salem Oregon


A colleague of mine took this picture of the Oregon State Capitol last week.

The capitol, constructed from 1936 to 1938, and expanded in 1977, is the third in Salem. The first two buildings were destroyed by fire. Unfortunately – fires have become a trend at the Oregon Capitol.

Last Labor Day a portion of the Governor’s office burned and we were displaced to a building across the street. The renovations and rebuilding is nearly complete and we should be back in the building sometime in January.

Personally, I think the building is a hybrid of a Mormon temple and a bowling trophy. The design certainly reflects the era in which it was built – when art deco was the rage, but I think I prefer the more “traditional” styles.

3 comments:

Effie said...

Beautiful shot!

Jim Wilson said...

Thanks for posting. My friends from Seattle left today. Bill is in San Bernadino with a client. Leo and I are home alone.

Your photo makes me homesick for the great Pacific Northwest. I'll be there in two weeks.

Unknown said...

San Bernardino? That's like 30 minutes from Jim and Effie!!