Sunday, March 7, 2010

Joe-Lean



Joe 1998 (or so) - March 6, 2010

I am in Seattle this weekend for a quick visit. I have some sad news to report. Joe-lean, our office cat, died of renal failure yesterday, March 6th. He showed up at our house about 10 years ago and was our outside cat for awhile. We thought he was a female. Bill named him Jolene after the Dolly Parton song. Later, changed to Joe-Lean (he was a tad over weight). He disappeared for a couple of weeks. Then, on Valentines Day (probably 2000) he appeared from the woods, injured. I took him to the vet where they told me he was a neutered male and he had a broken hip. The vet operated on him and I brought him back to the office to recover. We had two cats at home. He has been at the office ever since.

Over the last few years he developed diabetes and we had to give him insulin shots twice a day. It was a group effort. We had a calendar in the kitchen where the person who gave Joe the shot, recorded the time. He also developed kidney problems and he had to have a kidney pill every morning. He always came and visited me first thing in the morning to get his greenie pill pocket. I also gave him other greenies at the same time. (pet owners will understand greenies)

He will be greatly missed by all of us who knew him. He was a member of our team.

To those of you who met him in person or just on the blog, please say farewell to him in you own way.

5 comments:

JillR said...

RIP Joe-Lean.

Effie said...

What a pretty kitty!

BillsSundaySuppers said...

Tomorrow will be the first status meeting without Joe. I don't look forward to going into the office. He was a great cat and will be greatly missed.

Monna said...

I was visiting Jim when Joe-Lean showed up...he was a very friendly cat and wanted to get in the house. He held me hostage outside. Everytime I tried to enter the house he would run up to the door. Finally he grew bored with me. He found a great family in Jim & Bill.

Bob said...

Joe-Lean was a very nice cat. It is amazing how these pets can entwine themselves into our hearts. Joe-Lean found a good home and a good family at Grant Collaborative.