Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Homework Assignment

Like all of us, I have been thinking a lot about the shooting this weekend in Arizona. This evening I watched the service to honor those who were killed or injured. President Obama posed the question, “How can we honor the fallen?” And I’d like to provide a suggested answer for our family.

Spend two minutes thinking about where you get your news, and the views that are associated with that source. For me it’s Oregon Public Broadcasting, The New York Times, The Oregonian, and NBC nightly news. Now spend two minutes thinking about where you would not want to get your news. For me it’s Fox News, The Washington Post, and Governor Palin.

Now: Go to one of those news sources where you would not want to get your news and spend 10 minutes listening. Don’t argue, don’t judge…. Just listen and reflect.

Perhaps I am an old soul, or just conservative, but we as a society may have lost something with 800 cable channels and the ability to pull up whatever web page reflects our views.

As President Obama said tonight “What we cannot do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on each other” So in the next few days… I urge members of this family to turn toward the “other”

Think, reflect, discuss.

Also, let’s remember when we are praying, sending thoughts or energy to those who were shot, their families and the Tucson community, we must include the alleged gunman, his family, and our democratic form of government in those sentiments.

3 comments:

Jim Wilson said...

Thanks, Hans.

Hans said...

I forgot the best quote: "In the fleeting time we have on this earth, what matters is not wealth, or status, or power, or fame – but rather, how well we have loved, and what small part we have played in bettering the lives of others."

tonya said...

Wow --I'm really sorry I missed President Obama's remarks. And, I have for several weeks conciously been trying to see things from the the other's point of view. It changes my own sometimes...