Monday, February 18, 2008

First Planning and Zoning Meeting

I attended my first planning and zoning meeting tonight. We voted on a conditional use request for a group home. We were informed by the city attorney that we really had no choice since the state could mandate the placement of the home. So, not quite sure why we even voted. I did ask why the organization put $150,000 into the project and then asked for the permit. Of course, I got an answer about the ex-mayor wanted the process to be transparent so it ended up coming before the commission. What I say is bull sh^%. Oh well, at least I got the question and answer in the public record.

The evening started with a two hour training for members of the planning and zoning commission and the variance board of appeals. Bill is a member of the variance board. There was a speaker from the Atlanta Regional Commission who was very interesting. Then a self important property rights attorney who spoke and then our city attorney. Some of it was interesting. It's going to be a fascinating experience.



3 comments:

JillR said...

Tim says you like very smart with your glasses. Sounds like it's going to be a great experience.

tonya said...

Thank goodness for evidence you are back in Canton safe and sound. My mother has been hounding me "there was bad weather there you know...". Keep up the good work mr. planning and zonign.

Jim Wilson said...

I am glad the glasses add that little extra.

Tonya called them BCG - birth control glasses!